Hart of Nipigon
This is a collection of me. Things I do, Places I go, opinions, more opinions and local news and information I feel is relevant to the community and region.
The views and opinions expressed here are mine. Sometimes opinions, sometimes facts, either way its the truth as I see it. I do research subjects thoroughly in general by logical me, although sometimes the passion for particular subjects will get away from logical me and hand it over to emotional me.
Vision, Issues, & Values
My vision is for a robust tourism industry for the region based in Nipigon. From tourism operators, to products and services to the industry as a whole. We have this great renewable resource that’s in demand.
- We have a tourism industry now.
- Developed websites to market and sell travelers on visiting the area.
- Developed unique digital and print products to promote the area.
- Working with travelers everyday through operation of a bait shop.
- The key to growth is expanding and enhancing what draws people here.
- To be keep information open to the people of Nipigon and the region as a whole.
- Work with all those who have a vision of Nipigon future to help them achieve their goals.
- Continue creating tourism related info and products to draw and keep people here.
- Make sure services that can be provided in Nipigon, stay in Nipigon. Make Council accountable if not.
- Transparency and openness in decisions for the town. The people need to know whats going on.
- Past President Chamber of Commerce.
- Economic Development Committee Member.
- Donates time and skills to local churches and organisations.
- Volunteered two summers at Tourist Info Center (Hundreds of Hours).
- A strong proponent of tourism and helping travelers discover and explore this area.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.” – Donny Miller
My family and I moved to Nipigon in January 2007 as I took a position working as a geologist in Beardmore/Geraldton.
I have worked as a baker, short order cook, salesperson, electronics technician, computer technician, systems specialist, web designer, web programmer, graphic designer, computer skills trainer in Nova Scotia before choosing to move to Nipigon to work as a geologist.
I have a trades diploma as an electronics technician, a bachelor of science degree with honours in earth sciences. I also hold numerous certifications in computer and software-related disciplines. I have never stopped learning, and will not. I am never content with just accepting something without knowing as much about it as possible.
News, Information & Ramblings
My application to fill the Vacant Councillor seat on Nipigon Town Council
Council Watch Call for "applications" to fill vacant council seat. My application to become a town Councillor for Nipigon. How do I feel about the choice to allow council to arbitrarily appoint someone to a council that is supposed to represent the people? Read my...
I’m now considered a “CON” by Nipigon Council
Council Watch Call for "applications" to fill vacant council seat. Recently, Councillor Collins has decided to step down and move to be closer to her family, good for her. Most people in town who follow this development assumed that I, who ran in the last...
WHAT IS PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION
In 2015 Justin Trudeau ran a large part of his campaign on that election being the last "First past the post" election. He would bring in a much more democratic voting method, proportional representation. In first past the post elections, the government is formed by...